log4net publish problem - change copy local?

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I use sourcegrid (version 4.20.3304.35521) in a c# application that I am trying to provide to another user, using the "publish" option from VS Express 2005.   When attempting to execute the created setup.exe, he gets a message to the effect:

"unable to install or run the application.  The application requires that assembly log4net Version 1.2.10.0 be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first".

I have seen from other discussion threads that there is a suggestion to completely remove log4net from sourcegrid at some future date, so that will eventually be a solution, but I am in need of a current fix/workaround.  The copy local property for the reference, after adding it in, is set to false.  I am wondering if the install will work properly if I change the copy local to true, and if there are any potential unwanted side effects of doing this.  [I don't want to bother the other user for testing a new install until after I have resolved this question].  If that is not the proper approach, can somebody give me a workaround or the appropriate method for adding log4net to the GAC.

Thanks in advance.

Dick Males

Cincinnati, OH

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:05 PM
You so not need to install it into the GAC just ensure that the log4net dll is in the same folder as the .exe that you installed. you probably just forgot to include it in the installshield.

Cheers,
Derek

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:54 PM, rbmales <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I use sourcegrid (version 4.20.3304.35521) in a c# application that I am trying to provide to another user, using the "publish" option from VS Express 2005.   When attempting to execute the created setup.exe, he gets a message to the effect:

"unable to install or run the application.  The application requires that assembly log4net Version 1.2.10.0 be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first".

I have seen from other discussion threads that there is a suggestion to completely remove log4net from sourcegrid at some future date, so that will eventually be a solution, but I am in need of a current fix/workaround.  The copy local property for the reference, after adding it in, is set to false.  I am wondering if the install will work properly if I change the copy local to true, and if there are any potential unwanted side effects of doing this.  [I don't want to bother the other user for testing a new install until after I have resolved this question].  If that is not the proper approach, can somebody give me a workaround or the appropriate method for adding log4net to the GAC.

Thanks in advance.

Dick Males

Cincinnati, OH

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sourcegrid@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sourcegrid@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Thank you for your reply.  I changed the copy local to true for log4net, built an install with the publish option, it was complete and ran just fine on other user's machine.

Dick Males

Cincinnati, OH